- This event has passed.
UVA Club of Orange County: An Evening with Assistant Professor Cristina Richieri Griffin, Jane Austen Expert
July 15 @ 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm
All alumni, parents, and friends are invited to join the UVA Club of Orange County for an evening with Assistant Professor Cristina Richieri Griffin, a Jane Austen expert and a Postdoctoral Fellow in Nineteenth-Century Studies, Department of English, College and Graduate School of Arts & Sciences.
We’ll gather to discuss and learn more about the celebrated author Jane Austen, whose work endures in popularity more than 200 years after her death. Cristina will join us to enlighten us on Austen’s work and how we can interpret it in the context of modern society. Griffin teaches a course at UVA entitled “Austen and Adaptation: Pride and Prejudice and Then Some.” You can read more about her course here.
Please read Pride & Prejudice and if you have time, consider reading or watching one (or more, if you’re really inspired) of the following Pride and Prejudice adaptation suggestions:
- Longbourn, told from the point of view of the Bennett family’s servants, 2013
- Unmarriageable, set in contemporary Pakistan, 2019
- The Lady’s Guide to Celestial Mechanics, set in the late 18th century with two women falling in love, 2019
- Heartstone, a historical fantasy with dragons and warriors, 2017
- Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, a novel in 2009 and a film in 2016
- Film versions of Pride and Prejudice, 1940, 1995, 2005
The Zoom link to join us will be emailed to all registrants before the event.
Any questions, please contact Julie Leigh (COM’ 93, PAR ’22), at firstname.lastname@example.org.