Join Book Club on Tuesday, January 8th as we discuss Angie Thomas’ #1 New York Times bestselling debut novel, The Hate U Give.
Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter moves between two worlds: the poor neighborhood where she lives and the fancy suburban prep school she attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is shattered when Starr witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Khalil was unarmed. Soon afterward, his death is a national headline. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr. But what Starr does or does not say could upend her community and endanger her life.
Join Book Club for an evening of community and conversation as we read this “heartbreakingly topical” young adult novel. Please email email@example.com to RSVP.
2018 Book Club Selections:
- January: Lord of the Flies by William Golding
- February: Call Me By Your Name by Andre Aciman
- April: A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L’Engle
- May: Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward
- July: Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mendel
- September: We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter (CLAS ’00)
- October: The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey
- December: Educated by Tara Westover